Friday, April 4, 2008

My open letter to Tom Lukiwski

Mr. Lukiwski:

As a gay male I cannot find the words to express the shock, disgust and horror I felt when I heard and saw the comments you made in a video tape some 16 years ago. My nails are clean, and rest assured, I am not spreading diseases!!!

While it is admirable that you immediately issued two apologies, one in a scrum in the foyer and the second in the House on Friday, I feel your words ring shallow, are not sincere and is an attempt to mitigate damage and save your job.

I feel your apology is something you were forced to do and that in no way reflects the man you are. Had the comments being made when you were in your teens and did not know better, then I may, but highly doubtful, be convinced that it was a question of maturity and bad judgment.

Sir, you made these statements when you were in your 40’s. I have a very hard time believing that you now feel different towards gay men and women. A leopard does not change its spots.

Men, women and children, both in Canada and around the world are beaten daily because of their sexuality. Some are put to death for it. But it is ok because you have said you were sorry.

Children in school have been beaten and ostracized due to their sexuality. Buts their oks because you said you were sorry.

Teens have killed themselves because of the backlash from friends and families over sexuality. But it is ok because you said you were sorry.

Sir, I am 49 years old. I have lost jobs, lost friends and being cast from my family because of my sexuality. I personally, have been physically attacked and assaulted because of my sexuality. But it must all be ok because you said you were sorry. Even in 2008, I still face discrimination because of my sexuality. The whispers, jokes and comments have become a daily norm. Not a single day goes by where someone doesn’t say something about gay men and women. Every comment made is followed by a “gee I am sorry”. Apparently, one may say anything they want as long as that phrase is the tag line.

Mr. Lukiwski, we have young Sisters and Brothers, giving their lives overseas to ensure that the rights of citizens are protected. Not a day goes by where the stories of what our Armed Forces face are played on the media. They are fighting for the protection of rights and freedoms, yet here, at home, we have persons, like you, perpetuating hatred and hurtful remarks to our citizens. But it must be ok because you have said you were sorry.

As a political junkie, I watch daily the proceedings of the House of Commons. I have watched you both speak on and vote against Bills that would promote equality for citizens of my country, my Canada, yet you have the audacity to stand before the House of Commons and all of Canada, with shallow words of regret.

As a Leader, you are expected to set an example for us all. You are expected, as hard as it may be, to be above reproach. I ask that you please put actions where your words are and do the admirable thing and immediately resign as MP for Regina Lumsden Lake Centre.

No comments: